Thursday, September 9, 2010

Have you seen my Pancho?

Every time we would go to visit my parental grandparents in “Corozal” (town in the center of Puerto Rico) it would promise to be an adventure you would never forget… The family was gathering for a Sunday party; all of my aunts, uncles, cousins and friends were there to celebrate….I guess that it was Sunday? There was no particular reason and no matter how many family members or cousins were present I would only hang out with my cousin Aileen and my sister Zonia. Aileen was my first friend or to say it better, my only friend. We were almost the same age and we knew each other’s tricks and mischieves!

Now back to the party! The adults would gather, dance and prepare the food, while the children would play and run around the farm. I remember as if it was yesterday; my aunts saying “fue el pequeño de Gabriel y la de Fermin” (it was the small one from Gabriel and Fermin’s daughter) yep everything was always blamed on us and we did not even had proper names or they just did not care to use them!

I remember going with Zonia and Aileen to the food table; obviously cutting in front of the line….and what - no hot dogs?, no hamburgers?... no food! They had rice, beans, salad, bread and… what on earth was in the big pot??? I was trying to ask my aunt while at the same time I was trying to dodge and get away from the lady that would always pinch my cheeks and kiss me…ughhhh!!! (you always had to wrestle away from her!) What was in the big pot? My aunt replied… “Chivo” I responded WHAT? Chi who? She once again looked at me and said “Fricassee de cabrito” muy rico! Once again, and frustrated, I said “What? And my stalker, …yes the kissing machine said Bobby; “Cabrito means baby Goat”. And pleased with the answer I said ‘fuchi’ no food for me today.

Suddenly we looked at each other and started to run towards the side of the house….. and in horror we shouted “No!!! They are having my Pancho for dinner!” My pet goat that was being taken care of by my grandfather is now the center of this grand festivity. They were eating my Pancho! From that point on we gave everybody the eye of shame. We placed into full execution the fake tears and sobbing and we so gently lifted our little delicate finger and pointed to the guest and reminded them that they were eating my panchos beautiful legs…A party at grandpas was never the same!

Sorry no goat recipes…but I will share a killer “chicken fricassee”

Gabo
Puerto Rico (foodie)

FRICASE' DE POLLO (Chicken Fricassee) Puerto Rico

2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. oregano
Salt, freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. achiote oil
3 1/2 lb. chicken, cut into serving pieces
4 oz. ham, coarsely chopped
Bay leaf
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 fresh hot pepper, left whole
1 c. tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 c. chicken stock
1 lb. potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 c. pitted green olives, sliced
1 tbsp. capers
2 pimientos, coarsely chopped
½ cup dry white wine
¼ cup brandy

Mix together the garlic, oregano, salt to taste, a generous amount of pepper, the vinegar and achiote oil and rub into the chicken parts. Place in a covered bowl and refrigerate for about 4 hours.

At the end of that time, transfer the chicken and marinade to a heavy casserole and add the ham, bay leaf, onion, hot pepper, tomatoes and chicken stock. Add the wine and brandy. Cover and simmer gently for 1/2 hour.

Add the potatoes and continue cooking until chicken and potatoes are both done, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and discard the hot pepper and bay leaf. Add the olives, capers and pimientos and cook for a few minutes to heat through. Serves 6.

ACEITE DE ACHIOTE OIL:

1 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. annatto seeds

Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the seeds and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until a rich orange color is obtained. Cool, strain and store the oil in a covered jar in the refrigerator. Use as directed. Keeps about one month. Makes about one cup.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahahaha, way too funny!

Kathy said...

My husband David says never let the children name the farm animals! Poor Pancho!!